Zami Reading Questions for Study Group:
- What kinds of messages does Audre receive about race, gender, and sexuality as a young girl?
- How does Audre’s relationship to her mother shape her identity?
- How does Audre understand “home”? How is her sense of home (or lack thereof) connected to her identity as a woman, a child of immigrants, a Black person, a lesbian?
- What is Audre’s relationship to language?
- What is a biomythography?
- Why do you think Lorde refuses to capitalize words like american, supreme court, ivy league, and christian?
- How would you characterize Audre’s time in Mexico?
- Who is Afrekete? What is her significance in the narrative?