Reading Questions for The Awakening by Kate Chopin:
- To what does Edna awaken?
- What might the sea represent in the novel?
- What is the nature and/or significance of Edna’s friendships with other women in the novel?
- Who is marginalized or othered in the text and why?
- What is the role of music and art in the novel?
- Who consumes in the novel? Who produces in the novel?
- How do you interpret the ending of the novel?
- What differences/similarities do you notice between The Awakening and “The Story of an Hour”?